August 7, 2009

John Hughes, you will be missed.

I'm stunned. This movie is a part of my memories of youth in the same way that best friends, birthday parties, first kisses and sleepovers are. Maybe, to some, this is not normal. I saw this film when I was 11 years old for the first time. Perhaps I shouldn't have, with all the language and inappropriate material. To this day I can't understand why my parents let me watch it. They were *not* incredibly lenient parents! My cousin and I would watch it over and over again- we actually kept count of how many times we had seen it- I lost count at a crazy number like 350...
We both (still) know all the words and every song. We have it on vhs, dvd, own the soundtrack. You get the point. That movie helped us understand that fitting in and finding your own niche- or clique- wasn't only happening to us- at our young age. It had happened, or was happening, to all young people. I was more like Ally Sheedy's character, she was more like Molly Ringwald's. We got that, I think. So, today I wanted to reminisce about this- and tell the world what a crazy kid I was and that The Breakfast Club was, and still is, one of my ALL TIME favorite movies. Thanks, John Hughes, for making incredible films that defined my generation.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you have to read this, you'll love it
http://wellknowwhenwegetthere.blogspot.com/2009/08/sincerely-john-hughes.html

jana said...

I love that you watched it so many times and how much it is laced in your memories. I loved this movie too. I have such a sensitivity to this time in children's development---the right of passage---no only in the need to define yourself, your identity (which I had no idea what mine was then), but the separating from parents and the social ramifications of peer pressure---kids can be so cruel----I hope to instill more loving interaction w/ my lil ones during this time--a mom can hope---to the outlier, to the one who people shun---be kind :)

I want to do your course, trying to figure out how time wise (where does it all go?) hugs, jana

SimaG Jewelry said...

B E A U T I F U L blog!

 
Template by Sharnee